Monday, September 1, 2014

Shannon's High School Graduation 6-6-2013

Shannon graduated...
Wow.
Where did the time go?
I was just 13 when she was born. I helped take care of her in the first few months of her life. I fed and diapered her, burped and slept her. I stayed up late into the night and wee hours of morning helping my mom while she worked and when Shannon dealt with colic. I was like a second mom to her. And now she's graduating high school? Man I felt old.
I beamed as I watched her walk onto the field with her graduating class. 
 I yelled louder than I ever have when her name was called and she walked across that stage. She was so proud of herself.
 And she was overcome with emotion that she had accomplished something she wasn't sure would ever come. Shannon struggled with learning stuff, and was in special education classes most of her school years. We always knew she would move on from high school eventually but were never sure if she would do it with the kids her age. She showed us! 
Here she is in all her glory with baby Summer after the ceremony was over. 
 Grama and Grandpa Carpenter came too!
 I drove up to Reno and picked up our sister Tiffany to surprise Shannon. Shannon cried and cried when she saw her.
Big sister and baby sister 
 Me and my girl
 Shannon and Mom.
Shannon, we are so very proud of you. It wasn't easy, but you defied the odds against you. You made it through 3 different high schools, one of which while in foster care away from your family. Baby girl, I love you so much and am honored to have been on this journey with you.
Now onto bigger things!
Like having a baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment