Back in October the school had a spirit day like most other Fridays, only instead of encouraging the kids to wear red (their school color) they encouraged them to wear pink in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
I found a couple of cheap ($ store) pink t-shirts and decided to make them something to wear. Of course, being the annoying mom that I am, I made the kids stop and pose for pictures as we were walking out to the car.
Here's Alana's: Fight for the girls
Here's Brayden's: Tough guys wear pink
Happy to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month
Brayden wasn't too thrilled about wearing pink, but once I explained what breast cancer, and other cancers were and how there are lots of people that have suffered through it, some have died, some have overcome, and that we even have family members (yes, more than one) that has had it, its important to support the cause of finding a cure, even on a small scale like this. After that he was all over wearing it and wearing it proudly.
It was kinda funny with Alana. After I picked them up from school I asked them if anyone made fun of their shirts or said anything. Other than a couple teachers and the principal, no one seemed to notice (as expected). I asked Alana if any of the adults that said anything to her giggled about her shirt. She said no and asked why they would. I then explained to her that sometimes people refer to women's breasts as "the girls" and that was my intention when I made the shirt. She turned bright red and said, "MOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!!!!! If I knew that I wouldn't have worn it! I thought it was because breast cancer is for girls, not boys!" It was kinda funny. I told her she was right, that is usually only affects women, but isn't female exclusive.
They now wear these to bed most of the time, although Brayden has worn his to school at least once since then. Proud Mama!



No comments:
Post a Comment