I had the chance to chaperone a field trip to the downtown Sacramento library with Brayden's class. It was kinda weird because I hadn't been on a bus in such a long time frankly I was worried how I would fit with all three second grade classes riding together on one bus.
I showed up at the school early and helped Brayden's teacher correct some paperwork then she got the call that the bus had arrived and was ready to go. We all headed out to use the bathroom and line up. I just love Brayden's teacher (who also happened to be Alana's 2nd grade teacher too). She is always finding opportunities for the kids to use their brains. While they stood in line waiting for their classmates to finish using the bathroom, she asked math questions. Here she had asked them a series of addition and subtraction questions and was asking for the answer.
After getting on the bus I jumped at the opportunity to snap some pictures of me and my silly little guy.
and of course we had to have a nice one too...
Once the bus started to move Brayden grabbed my hand and wouldn't let go. He wasn't scared. He told me he was just super happy I was there with him. I love my sweet boy.
While driving on the freeway, in the slow lane, Brayden began asking questions about the "diamond lane". He learned that you can only go in that lane if you have 2 or more people in your car to help traffic flow better. He really did not understand what a huge bus filled with over 65 kids/people in it was doing in the slow lane if we could go in the carpool lane and pass all of the other cars. Then I had to explain that certain vehicles over a certain weight have to stay in the slow lane. He thought this was "dumb".
Outside of the library. I love how beautiful it is.
Mrs. Greiss and her class ready to go into the library.
We all walked in and headed down to the kids area where Mr. Mark did orientation/welcome to all three classes.
He talked a lot about books; many different kinds of books that the kids would find there and that they could check out. He then pulled some books out to show the kids what not to do with the books from the library (or any at all really). This book had been eaten by some kind of animal.
This book was opened too wide so the binding had broken and the book was literally falling apart.
This book had the pictures cut out of it.
After getting thru the "what not to do" portion of orientation, he pulled out a couple books that are not available to check out, but gave the kids a chance to look at - Pop ups! He said they are just too fragile to allow kids to check out so they stay at the library. This was the Wizard of Oz pop-up.
This is him showing the other pop-up, the Star Wars one. BIG hit with the boys
Before letting the kids take off to browse (once Mr. Mark was done, Mrs. Greiss asked for a picture of her class in front of the big purple chair.
The kids got a good hour or so to browse and find 2 books to check out. Before leaving to head across the street to have a picnic lunch I made sure to snap some pictures of Brayden. :)
That big purple chair just about swallowed him whole!
He's just so stinkin' cute!
And of course he had to be silly like the giraffe :)
Outside the kids sat and had lunch together
Shoving a HUGE bite into his mouth
When he was done I snapped a couple more pictures of him
He thought this fountain was cool.
And one last shot of the two of us.
Looking forward to more field trips with my cute sweetheart.
*side note - One of Brayden's classmates got sick right in the middle of the lobby/foyer while waiting for the rest of the class to finish checking out their books. Everyone was sitting around and suddenly he sat forward and threw up in his lap where his sweatshirt was sitting. Brayden was sitting right next to him. Apparently this boy came to school complaining of stomach pain and his parents brought him anyway. As I said before, all three 2nd grade classes were on the bus together heading to and from the field trip. The field trip was on a Tuesday, by Thursday 14 kids (total from all 3 classes) were sent home from school because of upset/sour stomachs and on Friday Brayden only had 10 of 24 kids in class...more than half were out sick (including Brayden). If the parents of that boy didn't learn then, I hope they learned by now...don't send your kid to school sick, even if its a special occasion like a field trip.*























No comments:
Post a Comment